Frequently Asked Questions



Q1: In what cases can I apply for a multiple-entry visas?
A1:  For visas for short-term stay, there are multiple-entry visas for tourists (maximum visa validity: 5 years) and multiple-entry visas for cultural or intellectual figures (maximum visa validity: 10 years). The latter can be used as tourist or for visiting relatives/acquaintances as well from the second visit. There are also multiple-entry visas for spouse of a Japanese national. Please refer to the relevant items of “Types of Visa” section, such as Item 16 and 17.  

Q2: How can I apply for a valid multiple visa?
A2: When applying for a multiple-entry visa, you must submit a form “Reason for requesting multiple entry visa”.  Depending on the purpose of the trip, applicant must submit additional documents to show that they are qualified for a multiple-entry visa. Please refer to the relevant items of “Types of Visa” section, such as Item 16 and 17.    Please note that submitting a form “Reason for requesting multiple entry visa” does not guarantee the issuance of multiple visa. In the case where a multiple-entry visa is not issued, if required documents for application of a single-entry (or double-entry) visa are submitted, the examination for the visa will be also made accordingly.  

Q3: I obtained a multiple-entry visa (30 days stay) valid for 5 years and traveled to Japan for tourism/pleasure purposes. Is it possible to use this visa when travelling to Japan next time for commercial purposes?
A3: If you wish to stay within 30 days and your activities are within the scope of “Temporary Visitor” (Sightseeing, recreation, sports, visiting relatives, inspection tours, participating in lectures or meetings, business contact or other similar activities during a short stay in Japan), you can use this visa to travel to Japan. However, when you arrive in Japan, you must submit an immigration card stating your purpose and be examined by an immigration officer.
Please note that there are certain activities which are not permitted as a “Temporary Visitor”, such as remunerated activities. If you wish to go to Japan to engage in such activities as paid/remunerated activities, please get a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Immigration Services Agency of Japan before applying for a proper visa.

Q4: If I apply for a “Temporary Visitor” visa for the first time, can I only apply for a maximum stay of 15 days?
A4: The periods of stay for a short term visa is either 15 days, 30 days or 90 days. The examination will be made according to your purpose and schedule.

Q5: If I have two or more purposes for the travel to Japan such as “tourism” and “commercial”, how should I apply?
A5: Please prepare the documents required for the main purpose of the trip. However, if you prepare and submit required documents for each purpose, the examination will be made for each purpose for the travel. The appropriate visa will be issued if the criteria for the issuance of visa is met for one of the purposes.

Q6: Is it possible to get a visa even if I have been deported from Japan before?
A6: The examination of visa applications is based on individual circumstances, and the past deportation does not automatically mean your visa application will be denied. If you have violated law and regulations in the past or have been deported, your application will be examined based on such fact. The application form has a space for history of deportation and violations in the past, so please properly fill out the form in detail.

Q7:  Is it necessary to submit original documents? What can I do if I cannot prepare the original documents?
A7: For documents that are possible to obtain repeatedly, it is necessary to submit the original. However, for pictures and old documents which you wish to keep the original, you may submit a copy and attach a letter to explain the reason you cannot submit the original.  If you cannot prepare any of the required documents, please submit a letter to explain the reason you cannot do so.

Q8:  I have an application for Certificate of Eligibility in Japan, can I apply for a short term visa, while waiting for the result of my Certificate of Eligibility?
A8: No. You have to apply your visa after obtaining your Certificate of Eligibility.

Q9: Why does the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines accept visa application through accredited travel Agencies instead of directly accepting them?
A1: Before the system of filing through agencies was implemented, visa applicants had to queue and wait for a long time at the Embassy. Also, there were cases where applicants were made victims of buying and selling fraudulent documents by fraudsters in front of the embassy. Because of these situations, in July 2007, the Embassy of Japan started the system of visa application through accredited travel agencies.

However, there are cases where visa application may be filed directly at the Embassy of Japan.
For details, please refer to 1. (2)  [General Information for visa application].


Q10: How long is the application examination period?
A10: The standard processing period is five working days from the day after the date of the acceptance of application. However, if any kind of checking is required (the submission of additional documents, an interview with the applicant, inquiries, etc.), or if a visa application is made for the purpose of a long-term stay without a Certificate of Eligibility, etc., the examination may take longer than five working days (from several weeks to several months). Therefore, it is recommended that you make the application well before the scheduled date of departure.

Q11: My departure date is approaching. Could you issue the visa as soon as possible?
A11: We cannot make a decision about whether to issue or reject the visa application until the necessary examination has been completed. We process the applications fairly in the order in which we receive them. Apply for the visa as soon as possible once your travel plan has been decided.

Q12: Tell me why you rejected my visa application.
A12: The reason for the rejection is that your application did not meet the criteria of visa issuance. We do not give you the specific reason of the rejection because if we do so, the information might be used to get around the visa examination process to enter Japan for illegal or unjust purposes. It would impede the proper visa examination process in the future and have negative effects on Japanese society.

Q13: Why was my visa application rejected even though a Certificate of Eligibility was issued?
A13: The Certificate of Eligibility does not guarantee the issuance of the visa. The certificate means that the Ministry of Justice certifies that the foreign national meets the condition of landing (entering Japan);  the activity which the foreign national wishes to engage in Japan at the time of the landing examination is not fraudulent; and the activity is qualified to acquire status of residence that is stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act, etc. Therefore, if it is found that the application does not meet the criteria of visa issuance in the process of examination, a visa may not be issued.

Q14: Can I reapply immediately after my visa application was rejected?
A14: We do not accept your visa application if your previous application was rejected and you will apply for the same purpose of visit within six months from the rejection. However, there are cases where we accept application if you need to travel to Japan is necessary for humanitarian reasons. Consult with the Japanese Embassy or Consulate where you plan to apply for the visa before making the application.


Q15: Why was I not allowed to leave the Philippines even though I had a valid visa?
A15: A visa does not guarantee that you will be allowed to depart from the Philippines. Since Philippine authorities are in charge of the requirements for departure from the Philippines, please ask the Philippine authorities for the reason why you were not allowed to leave the Philippines.

Q16: Why was my application to enter Japan rejected even though I had a valid visa?
A16: A visa is no more than one of the requirements for the application to land in Japan and it does not guarantee that you will be able to enter Japan. Even if you have a valid visa, you may not be given permission to enter Japan, for example in cases where you make a false report about your activities in Japan or if a reason for denial of landing concerning you is found during the course of examination by the Immigration Inspector.

Q17:  Are there any restrictions on the number of times I can enter Japan?
A17: There is no limit to the number of times you can enter Japan. However,, if you intend to stay in Japan for more than half of year (180 days) as “Temporary Visitor”, you might not be allowed to enter Japan since it may not be regarded as temporary visit.

Q18:  Can I extend my period of stay after I enter Japan using “Temporary Visitor” visa?  Is it possible to change from a “Temporary Visitor” to another status of residence after entering Japan?
A17: For extension of period of stay or change of status of residence after entering Japan, please inquire at the Immigration Services Agency of Japan. However, there must be a special circumstances to be able to change a status from a “Temporary Visitor”.


More Q&A, please refer to MOFA HP.